Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Dad's Stomping Grounds

Earlier this week I had a unique opportunity to make a legendery place come to life. I got to visit my dad's old playground and kingdom, Bartlett High School.

Growing up I'd always heard about the school, home of the Golden Bears, just outside of Anchorage. My dad was on the state-winning track team, starred in the play "Bye Bye Birdie", and had the time of his life winning friends, serving, and being elected as Senior Class President. I always knew Bartlett High existed, but with it being so far away I never knew if I'd ever actually see it.

When I got there I put my dad on the phone and for a good 45 minutes I got a personal tour via the phone of the old high school. He showed me the gym where he practiced pole vault, the stage he sang on, the "main place" area where he and his friends would hang out, the sports fields outside, and even a certain ramp where the hottest girl in the school had given him a nice big kiss. That was one of my favorites :)

It was so exciting to see it all! I felt like I was exploring part of my own past. I really feel that the person I am today is in large part due to who my dad was and is. It was like coming home and finding a piece of myself. My dad is my hero and it was cool to see the "early years" of how he came to be.

I'm really grateful I was able to go on that little fieldtrip to explore the land of my father: Bartlett High School.

No comments:

Post a Comment