Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Dishwasher Repairman

This summer I'm working as a technician. I've never been particularly handy with tools, cars, or fixing things and it's been a great opportunity to learn some skills that will probably be pretty...handy...in the future.

Anyways, I got home from work the other day and inside my apartment was a handyman fixing our dishwasher. Now in my life I've of course seen many a handyman, working at my school, my house, on the road, or wherever. But for the first time ever, I could RELATE to this man fixing my dishwasher.

All day I had been going into strangers' houses and digging into their walls at odd hours of the day, having half-hearted conversation, feeling tired and sometimes frustrated, feeling accomplished and proud of the work I had done. And now seeing this other man working on my dishwasher I realized that my avenue of "relation" and understanding technicians and handymen had been opened.

So what can we learn from this? I know that I learned it's important to at least try new things. Go be a waitor for a summer. Be a tour guide. Be a babysitter. Be an office assistant. Try teaching a class. In trying these things, even if we don't necessary love them, it opens our mind in completely new ways. It makes it worth it when you see that handyman in your apartment and can finally say, "man, I know exactly how you feel right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment