Monday, May 17, 2010

A Thing Called Home

Something is missing out here. It really is. Alaska is an awesome place, and it’s beautiful and fun and full of cool people. I’ve made lots of friends already and I’m sure it’ll get better and better. But something is missing and I realized what it was the other day.

It’s “home”. I don’t have a home here. More specifically, someone I can call home. In Ohio I have my family, in Utah I have my roommates, and on my mission I had my companion and district, but here there’s none of that yet. Yes, I have friends and co-workers, plus a really great friend that I’ve done lots with (she’s probably the closest thing to “home” for me right now), but no one to come home to. No one to share everything with. I’ll do things with friends and it’s great, but for most of the day I’m very much alone.

It’s funny, but I want someone to report to. Like at college I’d always tell my roommates where I’d be and they’d tell me where they’d be. You’d share everything with each other and be witnesses to each other’s lives. You always knew what they were doing and it added such significance. Here, I come home, perhaps text and call people, but don’t have anyone here to sit down with and say, “wow, that was a long day” or “you’ll never guess what I did today” or “how was your day?” or “I saw two moose on the highway!”.

This past week I went on perhaps the most gorgeous drive of my life and explored a brand new city. I went to the North Pole! I went to a pioneer museum! I saw the highest mountain in North America! It was cool….but it was empty. With no one to share it with, it’s like it never happened. It can’t be fully enjoyed. I really think that’s why people yearn to get married: so they can have someone to share everything with.

I’m not depressed and I really hate pity, but this is just an observation, as I mentioned my blog would be about: observation. I’ll stick it out and change something, or I'll leave—I believe in doing something about situations. I had planned on coming out here with my best friend, but that got changed at the last second and he wasn’t able to make it. But it’s been interesting realizing these past couple weeks what a “home” or “family” is and how important it is to survival and happiness.

So if you know someone who doesn’t have a “home” right now wherever they are, reach out to them and give them that little (actually, it's really big) piece that they need.

---appendum- Something has been done about it. I've made a plan, went to the temple, and am moving nice and forward. I love making plans. Life is just great, huh!

No comments:

Post a Comment