Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tools

What is it they tell you in science class about why humans are different than animals? Well among other reasons, the teacher almost always mentions that humans use tools to accomplish their tasks. How true that is.

Upon arriving at my week-stay apartment in Fairbanks, I discovered that it came completely “unfurnished”, meaning that there is literally nothing in the apartment except walls, drawers, and a mattress. And not wanting to buy a bunch of stuff since it’s only a week-long stay, I learned to get creative. I decided to treat it like a camping adventure, complete with a “no-shave” policy in effect until Sunday.

I fashioned my clothes into a web/blanket thing for night-time, used my work drill and pliers as a can-opener, two rolls of toilet paper as hot pads for the oven, a plastic spoon for all of my utensils, and an empty can of peaches for a pot/bowl.

So from this experience, I learned two things: we as humans definitely take a lot of things (like can-openers) for granted, and it’s simply fascinating to see what the human mind can come up with to serve as its “tools” in accomplishing everyday tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment